Tamura’s is rooted in four generations of family history.
Tamura’s first store (Tamura Shoten) was originally back in the 1920’s opened by Makitaro Tamura on the main street of Waianae. Makitaro eventually turned the store over to one of his sons, Katsuichi Tamura. He changed the name of the store to K. Tamura Store and now it is presently Tamura Super Market.
Herbert and Glenn Tamura (Herbert son), decided to venture out from the original family company (Tamura Super Market) and start their own establishment. In 1995, Tamura Enterprises, Inc. was established, operating a liquor division and grocery store. Today, Tamura Enterprises, Inc. has grown to include, 3 Grocery Stores, 5 Fine Wine & Liquors and 1 Express Store which includes locations both on Oahu and Maui. With more than 375 employees, Tamura’s vision is still very much true to his words. We firmly believe that we provide to our loyal customers everyday low pricing and do not need a courtesy card required for in-store special pricing.
All our Poke Departments use FRESH AHI (Sashimi Grade) from Honolulu Fish Auction. Tamura’s Poke has been voted in the past as ‘Best of the Best’ Poke Shop by 2012, 2013 Honolulu’s Magazine and in 2013-2015 Hawaii’s Magazine Readers Choice Awards for Best Place for Poke. We guarantee you will find something that you’ll fall in love with!
Tamura Enterprises, Inc. Timeline
- June 1995 – Tamura’s Market Wahiawa
- 1999 – Tamura’s Fine Wine & Liquors was opened in the Kakaako area. After a 3 year lease, at Kakaako, it was later relocated to its current location in Waialae.
- December 2004 – Tamura’s Market Hau’ula opened in the Hau’ula Kai Shopping Center.
- December 2007– Tamura’s Fine Wine & Liquors Aikahi at the Aikahi Park Shopping Center
- February 2010 – Tamura’s Fine Wine & Liquors Aiea
- December 2010 – Tamura’s Market Kalaeloa
- May 2013 – Tamura’s Fine Wine & Liquors Kahului
- June 2014 – Tamura’s Fine Wine & Liquors Lahaina
- November 2014 – Tamura’s Express Wailuku
- May 2015 – Tamura’s Kitchen & Catering – Wahiawa
- October 2015 – Tamura’s Kitchen & Catering – Wailuku
- June 2016 – Tamura’s Fine Wine & Liquors Kihei
- December 2016 – The Edge by Tamura’s
“Tamura’s Market is deeply rooted on the Hawaiian islands of Maui and Oahu as it has been the go-to community grocery store for four generations. The company has developed a strong reputation based on its family values and customer service, which has allowed it to seize the opportunity to become more diverse.” Check out our feature on fooddrink-magazine.com!